Monday, February 1, 2010

More Markets

There are a lot of markets to visit in London.  Friday a friend from school and I went to the Borough Market, London's oldest food market.  It is full of fresh meats, fruits, vegetables, cheeses, etc.  There are also lots of ready-made food vendors selling sandwiches, pasties, fish & chips, pasta, mulled wine & cider, chocolates, and pastries.  I had an ostrich sausage sandwich that was really tasty.
We also went to the Tate Modern museum which has pieces from Picasso, Matisse, Jackson Pollack, and Andy Warhol.  The museum has a wonderful view of St. Paul's Cathedral.  Below is a picture from inside the cafe.  The backwards Tate is etched on the glass window.
After the museum we tried a nearby Turkish restaurant for dinner.  I had a diced lamb, onion, and pepper pide.  A pide is a pita-like dough shaped like a boat, baked in a wood-fired oven and topped with different ingredients.  For dessert I had Kaymakli Kestane, pureed chestnut topped with pistachios.  Can you tell how much I love food? 
Saturday I went with some girls to Camden Market, which is a group of markets near Regent's Canal selling a variety of clothes, jewelry, accessories, art, antiques, music, and food.  Camden Market is known for having more alternative and vintage places to shop.
You can grab a bite to eat and have a seat on a vespa by the canal.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post!! Reading where you've visited is like taking a trip through a good history and travel book. I love the way you keep us informed. How can someone who loves food stay so wonderfully slim? Lucky You!!
    Sure enjoyed talking with Ya on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete