Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First Month

I've been in London for a month now.  These are a few things I have learned so far (outside of school):

1. To "mind the gap."  I hear that phrase several times a day as I'm riding the tube (underground).  Whenever the train stops at a station a voice is warning you to be careful of the space between the train and the platform.
2. Things in London are smaller. Cars, houses, rooms, washing machines, ovens, fridges. . .
3. When shopping I should only buy as much as I am willing to carry up the hill to my flat.
4. How to make coffee using a French Press instead of a "regular" coffee pot.
5. Hats, scarves, and gloves are not just accessories. They are necessities for me here.
6. When eating at a pub, order at the bar first and then sit down.  If you just sit down, you will never be served.
7. In multi-level buildings, there is a -1 floor below the ground floor.  The ground floor is 0 and then the next floor is 1 and so on.
8. To use newspaper when cleaning windows.  Last night my flatmate was doing this and I asked her about it.  She looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I use paper towels.  She has only ever known to use newspaper. 
9. Skype is wonderful. For any of you who don't know what Skype is, it is a free internet program where you can call (with or without video) anyone who has an account.  For free.  Just last night I got to see my sister and nephews, an uncle and my cousin's two-month old baby, and two cousins.  It's so nice to see family and friends.  I don't feel so far away.  Did I mention that it is free?
10. Some British phrases/words that I hear or see quite often:
half eight = 8:30
chips = french fries
crisps = chips
candy floss = cotton candy
jacket potato = baked potato
pasty = savory pie usually filled with meat
lift = elevator
queue = line
loo = toilet
top up = add on or refill (like add money on your tube pass or pay-as-you-go cell phone)

These are a few things I'm still trying to learn:

1. Which way cars are coming when I'm crossing the street.  I still look both ways even though it is usually written on the road.  It literally says "Look Left" or "Look Right."
2. Which side to walk on when going up or down stairs or through the walkways in underground stations.  It's very clear that when going up or down escalators, stand on the right and walk on the left (same as the US). However for walkways where people are walking both directions, some stations have signs that say "Keep Left" and then some stations with no signs everyone is keeping right.  And people usually don't get out of your way.
3. How to identify the different Great Britain coins quickly.  There are so many!  £2, £1, 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p, 2p, 1p.  When I'm paying for something I feel so lame picking through my coins trying to find the right combination.
4. The metric system. 7 degrees Celsius is warm (44.6 degrees Fahrenheit).
5. How to say no when someone asks "Should we order dessert?"  See evidence below.

4 comments:

  1. Love, Love, LOVE this post! Nicely done..and reminds me of all the differences I noticed in Europe (I love the "lift" and "half 8". Newspapers actually work a million times better than paper towels (they don't leave streak marks). Ah - "Mind the Gap" - I couldn't wait to hear that in London when I got there. I am laughing about EVERYTHING being smaller...you get used to that and will think EVERYTHING is gigantic when you get back to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KRISTY!!! I finally got to catch up on all your posts! Wow! You have been a busy young lady. As I was reading through I just have this big smile on my face to know that you are having such a great time and get to experience all of the things that most of us will not get to experience. Continue doing a great job in your classes and exploring a whole new world. :) Take care! Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristy, just reading your last 2 posts and wanted to say the first time I saw someone cleaning windows with newspaper I was also taken aback! The person was a neighbor from Puerto Rico from when I lived in Tallahassee (too many years ago). The news paper does not leave little lint particles, is "free", and seems to make the glass shine. I don't think it would do well here in Central Valley because you first have to scrape off a layer or three of dust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE this post. Sounds like you're having a great time and we definitely need to figure out a skype dae soon. I am so jealous that you all these desserts around you. yum.

    -Angela

    ReplyDelete