Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Almost My First Puff Pastry

This week we had our two practicals today instead of the usual Monday.  In the morning we made an apple tart with a sweeter crust than the lemon tart last week.  In the afternoon we made puff pastry dough and a jalousie puff pastry with almond cream and poached pears using a pre-made dough.  There isn't enough time in one class to use the dough we made.  For those of you not familiar with it, it takes a lot of time. You fold butter in the dough, turn it, roll it out, fold it up again, let it rest, roll it out again, fold it up, and again and again. We'll see how it turns out next week.  We will use it to make palmiers and papillons.  The puff pastry with the almond cream and poached pears is definitely one of my favorites so far (for taste). I'm off to share my creations with some new friends. It's easy to make friends when you are in pastry school. :)




5 comments:

  1. Love the uniform too!

    I'm curious as to what kinds of backgrounds your classmates have and where they're from and why they're there, etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like T-W-O of everything in each picture. Don't care if you just photographed things twice. I still want T-W-O of everything in each picture. Almond cream is a winner,... even spread on cardboard, it would give amazing goodness to anything.
    The uniforms are rather unique,... BUT, the pastrys are dreamy!!! Double Yummmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay finally caught up on your blog. I love all the pictures and your pastries look amazing! You'll get quicker as you get used to the techniques. Go Kristy! You look great in a chef coat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look absolutely incredible! As much as I would like to attempt a crust such as that, it's probably better for myself (and the rest of the world) that I don't. Keep up the talent!

    ReplyDelete