Friday afternoon the sun came out and it was such a nice day, still cold though. A friend and I went to the National Gallery after class. The National Gallery is a collection of Western European paintings from the 13th to the 19th centuries. We got through about half of the museum (13th-16th centuries). Some of the highlights were Botticcelli's Venus and Mars, Michelangelo, and Raphael. Although we didn't see any Van Gogh paintings yet (still have eight more months), we did see a little Van Gogh doll in the museum shop whose ear detaches. Below is the front of the museum and a view from the front of the museum looking out at Trafalgar Square with Big Ben in the distance.
Friday morning as I was getting dressed for class in the locker room, I heard a few American girls (I think they are in Basic Cuisine) on the other side of my locker talking about how they had hit a wall; how the honeymoon phase is over. They were complaining about the weather and how their friends at home were complaining about their "terrible" weather which is nothing compared to slipping in the snow/ice in London. Someone asked them why they didn't go to school in Pasadena and they said that maybe they should have. It made me very sad to hear this, but also happy that I haven't hit this wall. I REALLY hope I never do. Sure, it's pretty cold here and it's kind of a pain to bundle up everytime I step outside because no matter where I'm going I have to walk in the cold. I can't just jump in a car with the heater blasting. It is not near bad enough to make me think I shouldn't have come here. This is what I signed up for and it's temporary. Didn't these girls do some research before they decided to come here? Just about everyone I spoke to about my plans warned me about how cold and rainy it would be. I hope these girls were just having a bad day and venting. It's kind of ironic that the sun came out that afternoon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Kristy, It's been awhile since I've read your blogs. I love hearing and seeing all you are going through. It sounds so interesting, all of it. I am so happy and glad that you get to have all these wonderful experiences.
ReplyDelete