Thursday, January 7, 2010

First Demonstration Class

Today was our first demonstration class.  For demonstrations the students sit in desks and the chef teaches up front with a huge mirror above showing us what he/she is doing.  There are also a few monitors on each side showing a different view.  Today the chef taught us how to cut fruits in a few different ways and how to make sugars.  When he was showing us how to test the temperature of the sugar he said not to use a thermometer, but instead just grab some sugar out of the pot.  So he dipped his fingers in ice water, then in the boiling sugar to grab some, and then back in the ice water.  It was crazy.  The entire room gasped when he did it.  We're going to have to do that on Monday!

I have to say that our knife sets are awesome!  I've never had a good set of knives and I never imagined having a set like this.  You might be wondering how many knives we actually need for Patisserie, but the chef probably used at least five different ones today for the fruit.  Plus there are other things in the set like a whisk, peeler, melon baller, zester, scraper, a really nice timer, and other cool things I can't remember right now.  On the first day a chef showed us a HUGE whisk that we will be using in the first course to make meringues.  My arms are going to be so buff!  Once we're in the second course we can use the machines and I guess my arms will go back to being wimpy.

1 comment:

  1. So do you get to keep all these great knives etc.? I need a zester and was thinking of just picking one up from the Dollar Store. Not such a good idea, I guess. I'll have to check out our local kitchen gadgets store.
    Thanks for the post, they make for good reading.
    Hope your health is much improved. How's the snow? Any more lately?
    Hugs to Ya, and keep your fingers in the ice water an extra moment before going for the boiling sugar. Yikes, that's hard to picture.

    ReplyDelete