Saturday, March 13, 2010

Birthday Fun

Thank you to everyone for all the birthday wishes yesterday.  I had a great birthday.  I had a demo class in the morning and learned how to make truffles.  I received some very thoughtful gifts from friends at school.  A friend gave me the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook.  We went to the bakery on our first Saturday outing several weeks ago.  Another friend gave me a little ceramic cupcake with cookies in it from Harrods (the huge department store we went to).  Then I recieved a mysterious newspaper-wrapped gift from someone in class who was told to give it to me.  I unwrapped several layers of newspaper.  Each layer had a little note in it.  It was a very cute idea.  The last layer revealed it was from another friend.  Inside was a box of Pierre Herme macarons in different flavors.  As I mentioned before I have discovered a love for macarons and Pierre Herme is very well known for his.  And man were they delicious!!    

I went to lunch with a few friends from school at what I was told was London's best attempt at a Mexican restaurant.  As many of you may know I LOVE Mexican food and can be a bit picky about it.  I like authentic hole-in-the-wall Mexican food.  This place was more like a Chevy's or Borders.  It wasn't too bad.  They serve a lot of food and a lot of guacamole which I love.

In the evening a few girls from school and I met up for drinks with some other of my friends celebrating birthdays this week.  Two guys had birthdays on Wednesday.  One of the guys is the one that helped me find my flat here.

My birthday gift to myself is a trip to Switzerland.  After finals we have a week break before we start Intermediate.  Thursday I leave for a week in Switzerland to visit some friends living there and I'm so excited!!
This picture is for my mom (or anyone who knows my mom at all).
My gifts are nicely arranged for the picture.
Me, Marina, Yoonnee, and Rahel at lunch
Our huge plate of nachos
Drinks at Village East
Yoonnee and Fernanda
Marina and I enjoying our fruity drinks.
I had a pineapple and basil mojito.

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha ..I am laughing out loud at picture #1 -- for your Mom :) That is GREAT! What a FUN birthday you had! Pineapple and basil mojito -- wow, fancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom says thanks!! I laughed and then I cried, big surprise there. So glad you had a great birthday. I am sure it will be one of your most memorable ones. Those nachos look interesting and the drinks look like something I will have to try when we come to visit, but only one not all of them. I guess I could try several since we will be there for a while. Ha!Ha! Glad we were able to connect today. Love ya, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed your post. Loved viewing all your fun pictures. It's clear to see you're blessed with very nice friends. That's a lovely gift in itself.
    So glad you had a Wonderful Birthday!! Happy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY several days late. Sorry for our tardiness.
    We Love you, Kristy, and we'll be praying for your clear mind and recall during your tests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pineapple and basil mojito??? Was it good? Never thought about putting basil in a drink. Interesting....

    Have fun in switzerland. The trains are awesome! Its expensive, cold, and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete