Thursday, December 31, 2009

The stories begin. . .

Finding a hotel in another country can be quite a challenge.  A few months ago I spent a lot of time researching London hotels online and reading reviews.  I finally just picked one that seemed to have fewer negative reviews.  It was in a good central location, had breakfast and internet, and was fairly reasonably priced.  It looked cute.  And it was cute.  I knew enough to expect a really small room since it's London.  However, I did not expect a furry little friend.  My first night there I woke up around 4am to a noise.  I didn't think much about it until I heard a clank against my water glass by my bed.  I turned on the light and saw a little mouse running back and forth on the window sill.  It didn't seemed too bothered by me or the light. Then it ran behind a little side table attached to the bed and wall.  I called the front desk and the guy said he couldn't do anything about it and offered a different room.  I moved across the hall, not very far for me or the mouse to travel.  I couldn't really go back to sleep.  After a couple hours I got up to take a shower.  As I was getting my things together a mouse scurried across the floor right in front of me.  I don't know if it's better to think it was a different mouse or the same mouse that just travelled across the hall with me.  I quickly showered and headed downstairs.  I was again told that there was nothing they could do about it.  It's winter.  I didn't make a big stink about it because I'm me and I don't make a big deal out of things.  Plus I was afraid they might do something to my room or bags.  I spent the day out looking for places to live, checking out the school, and just exploring the area.  I came back to the hotel and told them I was leaving.  I had already found a room at a Holiday Inn.  It may not be "cute" and in the middle of the city, but it's reliable.

I do have some good news.  I found a flat and I move in on Friday!  I'll be living in a flat with two other girls around my age who are working in London.  Thank you to my wonderful friend Cat who connected me with her friend in London who helped me find it!

7 comments:

  1. Can you imagine how many mice that hotel actually has in it? Gross. Please tell me the Holiday Inn is mouse free.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we said you'd be having 'An Adventure', little did we know to what extent. Mice, that's plural,... Double Yikes!!!!!!!!!!
    Yahoo for the final news about your flat. Souns like such a blessing. Enjoyed your post.
    Aunt Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one word for you...the first thing that came to mind...

    "Ratatouille"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a test to see if I know what I am doing. Love, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mice are small, be thankful it wasn't a rat! We spent the day in San Fran. Jimmy enjoyed himself. He didn't have to drive. thought of you, we saw a place called Kara's cupcakes. could be Kristy's:) Take care and shall we ship you a mouse trap? Maybe a cat?

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are there safely and that you have a place to stay (even if there are rodents but lets hope they keep their distance from now on!!) Awesome to hear about the flat as well!! Happy New Year and keep the updates coming!! :)

    xoxo Jason, Ashlee and Evan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the story Kristy! I laughed out loud at my computer screen when you wrote about your "furry little friend". You made the little mouse sound so cute, but I bet it was anything but, cuter than a rat though, thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete