Last week was another week of sugar. Some of it was practicing what we had done the previous week, but with a different chef. We learned some different techniques. We also learned how to blow sugar and make fruit shapes. We used these rubber pump things to pump air into the sugar and expand it. You could hear a lot of popping in class as people blew up their fruit. It takes a lot of patience because you don't want the sugar to be too thin and pop. You also have to be careful removing the sugar from the tube. I did pretty well with the technique, but couldn't get the shapes right.
Another rose. This time it is more in bloom.
Another bow
Blown Sugar
It is supposed to be an apple, but it looks more like a tomato. You can see all my other attempts in the background, but they just look like deformed Christmas ornaments.
We also had a technical class last week on how to make a croquembouche (traditional French wedding cake). The chef only made the pieces of it and will put it together this week. Unfortunately we don't get to make one. I'd much rather do that than all this sugar stuff. This is our last week of sugar.
My good friend Angela arrived last week. She is in London for about six weeks for work. I'm so excited to have her here as I finish up. We worked together at Guitar Center a few years ago and she left shortly after I did. We share a love for a baking and she was one of the first people I told about my idea to go to pastry school in London. She has been a great support and encouragement to me through all this.
Hi Kristy, I think your sugar things look awesome. I can't believe people actually make them. I love the color on them as well. Good job. See you soon.
ReplyDeleteThat first flower is amazing..can't believe it's food!
ReplyDeleteKristy, you are amazing. I love looking at all of the beautiful things you have made. Sugar is tough stuff!
ReplyDelete