Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Intermediate Final

I had my Intermediate final this morning.  I tried not to get myself so worked up about this one.  I started to panic yesterday thinking maybe I wasn't worrying enough.  I had only practiced each cake twice.  I think last term I practiced each cake five times.  I gave up trying to finish on time and just concentrated on techniques.  It's a lot different practicing at home with cheap equipment, a small oven, and little counter space.  It always takes more time.  I really want a nice kitchen in the next place I live.

We had the possibility of three cakes: the Opera, the Fraisier, or the Sabrina.  Click on the names to see the blogs from the practicals earlier this term.  All three have their advantages and disadvantages.  It is most important to get each layer of the Opera equal and for the cake to be level.  The glacage on top has to be perfectly smooth and there is chocolate piping on top.  The Opera should take the least amount of time. 

The Fraisier scared most people because of the marzipan rose on top.  The sponge needs to be spongy so you can cut the layers.  The strawberries should all be cut the same height and there should be no holes in the cream around them.  The piping on top is with royal icing and can be a challenge. 

The Sabrina requires the most time because it has so many pieces.  You have to bake both a pastry crust for the bottom and the sponge in the middle.  You have to make a strawberry cream, spread it on the sponge, cut strips, roll up the sponge, keep wrapping strips around until it fits the ring, and then mask the outside with it.  Then use a comb scraper to make markings on the sides without letting the cake show through.  You temper chocolate and cover a piece of marzipan with it.  Then you mark the chocolate using your serrated knife and you get one chance to do that before it sets.  Then you have to pipe the cream and the chocolate on top.

Here were my thoughts.  I was comfortable with making all the parts of all three.  I'm always nervous about piping which is necessary more for the Opera and the Fraisier.  I was pretty comfortable with the rose for the Fraisier, but probably should have practiced it more.  I'm extremely nervous about time which is tight with the Sabrina.  Most people don't want the Sabrina because of the time.  One girl in the other class chose the Sabrina, freaked out, and walked out of the kitchen.

God decided to really challenge me today.  I chose the Sabrina.  It didn't freak me out too much.  I just tried to stay calm and focus.  The chef was so great in the beginning of the class telling us all to calm down and that we will all be fine.  I tempered my chocolate just fine, but I messed up a little when I made the markings in it.  We do pipe the cream lines on top so that helps hide it a little.  Other than that, I was happy with how my cake turned out.  I am mostly happy I finished in time.  I had maybe two minutes to spare.  One girl dropped her Sabrina when she was masking the sides with the cream.  Luckily it was on the table and not on the floor and she was able to recover.

The hard part of Intermediate is over.  We find out our markings for the final next Tuesday and then have a few workshops all day on Wednesday.  If it is anything like our last class in Basic, it will be very relaxing and fun.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Kristy!! I'm sure you did fine. My mouth waters every time I read about the desserts - I'd pass you just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristy, this is janay i don't know if you remember me or not, i was good friends with Heath and those boys and Jana. Anyways, i was reading the Largoza's blog and clicked over to yours and am so impressed- how fun to be learning how to make such fun treats! I'm currently in Edinburgh as my hubby is working on his Phd- we're going to be heading to London in a couple weeks- do you have any tips for favorite places that are must sees- i think we might try to watch a bit of tennis at Wimbeldon. Fun to see what your up to and what God's doing in your life
    Blessings
    -Janay

    ReplyDelete