There are a lot of pictures in this post. I absolutely loved Lisbon! Portugal is one of favorite places I visited and I hope to go back to see more of the country.
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon
View of 25th of April Bridge from Sao Jorge Castle
View of Elevador de Santa Justa from Sao Jorge Castle
Inside Sao Jorge Castle
Inside Sao Jorge Castle
Inside Sao Jorge Castle
The Alfama part of Lisbon
The Alfama part of Lisbon
From the Alfama I walked along the waterfront to Praca do Comercio
Praca do Comercio
I stopped for a shot of ginjinha, a liquor made from the cherry-like ginja berry
I rode the funicular Elevador da Gloria up to the Bairro Alto part of Lisbon
View from Miradouro de Sao Pedro de Alcantara
The Bairro Alto is filled with places offering fado (Portuguese folk music/blues)
I enjoyed fado one night while having dinner
Lisbon's "Eating Lane" filled with restaurants
One of the tourist trolley cars
One of the real trolley cars that I took up to the castle. It was a little scary.
Random street in Lisbon
This made me think of San Francisco
There are some similarities between Lisbon and San Francisco with the trolley cars, hills, and the suspension bridge.
These mosaic cobbled sidewalks (calcada) are uniquely Portuguese
The tile designs on the buildings are also very Portuguese
This was also a little unique.
Some of the balconies in Lisbon
Lisbon is beautiful at night. I stayed near Rossio Square.
Rossio Square
Elevador de Santa Justa
Lisbon
Belem Tower in the Belem District of Lisbon
Walking along the water in the Belem District.
I thought this fisherman was so cute with his green crocs.
Monument to the Discoveries with the 25th of April Bridge in the background.
The bridge was built by the same company that made the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
Front of Monument to the Discoveries
View of Maritime Museum (left) and Monastery of Jeronimos (right) from the Monument to the Discoveries
Marble map in front of the Monument to the Discoveries (view from top of monument)
Monastery of Jeronimos
Inside the church of the Monastery of Jeronimos
Monastery of Jeronimos cloisters
It rained a little so the gargoyle rainspouts were serving their purpose that day.
From Belem I took the train to Cascais for the afternoon
Cascais is a little seaside fishing town
I was hoping to spend the afternoon on the beach, but it was overcast that day.
So I just started walking
Cascais harbor
Cascais
I followed the coastline
Cascais coastline
Cascais coastline
I ended up at Boca do Inferno
Boca do Inferno (Hell's Mouth)
The sea wasn't rough enough that day for the waves to crash and give the true effect.
Backside of Boca do Inferno
Seafood with rice
I really enjoyed the food in Lisbon.
The pastries in Lisbon were amazing.
On the left is the well-known pastel de nata (custard tart).
In Belem I had lunch at a wonderful restaurant where the owner offered to pay for my meal if I didn't like his suggestion. He then deboned my fish for me and prepared it for me "like the Portuguese like it."
Carapaus grelhados with boiled potatoes and a Spanish sauce
After preparing it, he walked away for a minute and came back to see if I liked it. I told him I hadn't taken a bite yet, but I was holding my fork getting ready to take a bite and he shoved it in my mouth.
This was one of my favorite meals ever, not only for the fresh fish but the experience also.
Another pastel de nata
Pasteis de Belem is a cafe in Belem and the birthplace of these tarts. People line up out the door waiting to get them hot out of the oven.
Bacalau which is dried and salted cod (the cakes pictured in the back) with rice and beans
Bacalau is the national dish of Portugal and is served hundreds of different ways.
Porco de Alentejana (fried pork with clams) and potatoes
This was another one of my favorite meals. It is from the Alentajana region of Portugal.
One day I took the train to the beautiful city of Sintra about 15 miles from Lisbon
Sintra with the Moorish Castle up on the hill
Streets in the center of Sintra
The National Palace with the two cone chimneys letting out the smoke from the kitchen
Pena Palace
By far one of the most beautiful places I've seen. It is surrounded by a park where you can hike up to the highest point for this amazing view.
It's difficult to get a good shot of the Moorish Castle
Moorish Castle
Kristy- your pics are amazing! I got to spend some time in Lisbon (it was one of our ports when i was on Semester at Sea). You really got to see a lot. I also was reminded of SF with their Golden Gate and loved their Christ the Redeemer Statue. Seeing your pics makes me want to travel. You should do contract work for a travel magazine as their food expert :)
ReplyDelete