The term "gobsmacked" is used by the British and means utterly astonished/astounded. I actually heard it used twice this past weekend. I spent the long Easter weekend in Scotland and was amazed by it. I had not heard much about Scotland and don't know many people that have visited it. I honestly didn't expect too much from Scotland. But I figured I should go since it is so close. I was planning to go with a friend but she had to cancel at the last minute because of a family emergency. I decided to go anyways and I'm really glad I did. It is an amazing country full of beauty and history. (I think I might find myself saying that about a lot of places I visit.) With all the history comes intriguing stories of kings & queens, castles, battles, William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, Sir Walter Scott, John Knox, and much more.
Friday I took a four and a half hour train ride up to Edinburgh, checked into a great Bed & Breakfast, and spent the day walking part of the Royal Mile.
The Royal Mile
I saw lots of kilts
Victoria Street
Edinburgh Castle perched on a volcanic crag
St. Giles Cathedral
Saturday I took a bus tour called "Monarchs, Mountains, & Malts" up to Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond, Trussachs National Park, and a distillery. Stirling Castle also sits on top of a volcanic crag and towered over the site of William Wallace's (Braveheart) victory over the English. There were also a lot of other historic events, but that's the one everyone points out to get your attention. We drove throught the Trossachs National Park and saw beautiful mountains and lakes. Loch Lomond is the largest lake in Great Britain by surface area. There are even islands in it. Loch Ness is the largest lake in volume. I didn't make it to Loch Ness to see Nellie because it is further north and would have meant a lot more time on a bus. Loch Lomond is right at the border of the Lowlands and the Highlands and was gorgeous. Our last stop was Glengoyne Distillery for a taste of single malt whisky and a tour.
View of Stirling Castle from the bus
Stirling Castle
Inside Stirling Castle
View from top of Stirling Castle out at the William Wallace Memorial
We stopped to see Hamish, the Highland cow, and have lunch
Someone's private residence on our drive through Trossachs
They say that in some parts of Scotland there are more sheep than people
We hiked up a bit for a fantastic view of Loch Lomond
Another view including one of the islands
Glengoyne Distillery
I will post more pictures in another post. It might be a couple days before I get it done. I'm meeting my good friend Sarah up in another part of England for a few days. She's visiting her brother who lives up there and we're going to explore another part of England for a day or two.
I'm so glad you continued your planned trip to Scotland. Good for you, you're not letting any opportunities pass you by. Sharing your pictures allows us to enjoy your adventures too.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, Miller! The pictures are AMAZING! I want to go to Scotland SOOOO bad!!! I am glad you went - how awesome!
ReplyDelete